Thursday, June 09, 2011

Boom! Rumble, rumble, rumble...

Last night I got home from my board meeting around 10:15. I headed to bed shortly thereafter, but my mind was racing.The iced Thai coffee I'd had just after lunchtime was still coursing through my veins, making me think of concepts I needed to write, conversations I needed to have and apps I wanted to download for my just-ordered Android phone.

Finally, after 45 minutes of tossing and turning and mind OM-ver mattering, I'd finally chilled out. But just as my muscles relaxed, a fierce wind started blowing. It was so forceful the house started to creak. I was sure my 3 year old was awake and pacing on the noisy floorboards, preparing to cry, but when I peeked into her room, she was sound asleep.

Cue the lightning. Then and rain. And thunder. Oh, so much thunder! I slept fitfully for a couple of hours before A really did wake up and cry out in fear.

So 2 poor hours of sleep in my own, comfortable bed were followed by 2 1/2 hours of poor sleep next to A in on her thin twin mattress. And it was still dark, thundering and absolutely pouring all through my morning commute.

There was one sliver lining, though. A told me--for the first time--about a dream she'd had:

"I dreamed last night that I was in a big hallway. There were lots of [silver] buttons in the big hallway. And every time you pressed a button, there'd be a big noise like thunder!"

Also? The temperature dropped 40 degrees from 95 yesterday to a chilly and damp 55 today.