Tuesday, September 04, 2012

How I told the kids we're going to Disney World

2012-09-01 14.13.30
Happy kids at Crown Fountain
YouTube is full of videos in which parents surprise their kids with a trip to the Mouse House. Sometimes the kids are opening presents on Christmas morning only to find out their gift is a trip to WDW. Sometimes the parents load their kids into the car for a "drive to Grandma's house" that's anything but. (And I saw one in which the kid cries upon hearing he's not going to see Granny after all.)

Although Josh was all for not telling Zoe and Ada about our upcoming trip until the morning of, I felt we needed to spill the beans earlier (but not too early) so that we could maximize the fun of anticipation and demonstrate that we weren't missing birthday parties and a family friend's bat mitzvah for no good reason.

So we waited until we were one month from departure and I delivered the trivia quiz that would reveal our plans. (See the quiz below, which inspired a similar reveal by Rookie Mom Heather.) The girls were a little weirded out by the challenge and totally stumped by "Orlando,______" having never heard of the city. But eventually they answered the questions, spelling all the answers correctly. Then Zoe quickly unscrambled the boxed letters to spell "Disney World," but she was so confused by the way I'd written the dates that it took her a few minutes to understand we were going this year--this month in fact!

I then handed the girls a gift bag with Disney autograph books, t-shirts (purchased for $5 a piece at Target), luggage tags and a "vacation planning" DVD Disney sent me way back when.

The videos on Disney World's website do a much better job of showcasing the rides, attractions and hotels than the DVD, but suffice it to say the girls are now really, really excited.


I live “under the sea.”
_ _ _ _ [ _ ]

I’m a nanny who’s “practically perfect in every way.”
_ _ _ _   _ [_ ] _ _ _ _ _

I tasted a poison apple.
_ _ _ [ _ ]   _ _ _ _ _

I have two mean step-sisters.
_ _ [ _ ]_ _ _ _ _ _ _

I’m a skilled archer and the impetuous daughter of Queen Elinor.
_ _ _ _ [ _ ] _

I’m Mickey’s girlfriend.
_ [_ ] _ _ _ _

I am the princess of Agrabah.
_ _ [ _ ] _ _ _ _

I sing “There must be more than this provincial life!”
_ _ _ _ [ _ ]

I star Woody and Jessie and Buzz!
_ _ [ _ ]   _ _ _ _ _

What’s the name of the newest Rapunzel movie?
_ _ _ _ _ _ [ _ ]

Orlando, _ _ _ [ _ ] _ _ _

  
Write down all of the letters in the boxes. Unscramble those letters to find the answer to where we’ll be 9/29-10/4.