Thursday, June 05, 2008

E-mail marketing done lamely

I'm a marketer. I have nothing against receiving timely, useful information from brands and retail stores that interest me. Communications I've opted into. Which is why I was surprised to find this offer in my inbox yesterday.

For starters, who designed this atrocity? Is it all about the money--no appetite appeal at all? Who thought I wanted to hear from Klondike? I don't like Klondike bars and I've never bought one.

Someone should send the digital marketing folks at Unilever this checklist from Seth Godin, a small portion of which I'm reprinting here.

1. Is it going to just one person? No
2. Since it's going to a group, have I though about who is on my list? No
4. Did every person on the list really and truly opt in? No like sort of, but really ask for it? No
5. So that means that if I didn't sent it to them, they'd complain about not getting it? No
And so on and so forth...