Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's birthday party season and I'm prepared

For whatever reason, we get loads of kiddie birthday party invites between September and December. Loads.

I hate Toys R Us. I can't afford to buy dozens of high-quality wooden playthings (that may never get played with) from Geppetto's. And I don't have the time or the energy to hand-select the perfect gift for every one of our children's playmates.

So today I spent 20 minutes in the Borders bargain books section and came home with a pile of presents my kids would be delighted to receive (but won't--hahaha). They ranged in price from $2.99 for a Disney Sleeping Beauty book with read-along CD to $6.99 for book with six 48-piece fairy jigsaw puzzles. But thanks to a kind cashier who applied my 30% off coupon
to the $6.99 item (technically it was for a $10 one item purchase), I walked out of there with seven gifts for $28.48 ($2.65 of that is tax).

My gift closet is stocked and we're ready to party.