Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Just what every new mom wants: a sex book

It's been about 9 months since any new babies arrived in my life, with the last two being my sister Eleanor's son and my friend Kim's daughter. This after nonstop baby deliveries for 5 years. That's changing, what with a fellow preschool parent and colleague giving birth to girls in the past week and six more babies due to arrive to people I know by summer.

And I'm oh-so slightly tempted to buy some of those first-time parents a copy of Kirsten Chase's book, The Mominatrix's Guide to Sex: A No-Surrender Advice Book for Naughty Moms, if only because she tells you what your girlfriends might neglect to about post-partum sex. About what childbirth does to your lovely ladybits and how that might affect your (now virtually nonexistent) sex life.

I mean, I really would have liked someone to tell me not to bother having sex right after the 6 week recovery period because that is not nearly enough time to do the kegels required to restore a baggy va-ja-ja to its previous state. Kristen (who I've met, fully clothed and very normal-like) covers sex from pregnancy (hot!) to new mamahood (not!). She then talks moms through a slow-but-steady return to sexy, gives tips for keeping your kids occupied during mommy and daddy's "naps" and cranks up the kink in the book's final chapters with information on family-friendly sex toys and a few other subjects that made me blush.

This post is a part of the Silicon Valley Moms Group book club. We received copies of the book for free.