Sunday, March 22, 2009

I'm 99 percent sure our house isn't haunted

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like "your house was the scene of a brutal crime," which may explain why it took nearly 6 years for someone to tell me that a mentally unstable man killed his 70 year old mother, hacked her to pieces and lived with her decomposing body parts back in 1976. Apparently it took 4 days before a next door neighbor got suspicious and called the police.

I finally got the story from the youngest daughter of my recently deceased elderly neighbor. She and her husband have been cleaning out the house, which has been in their family since it was built in 1910 (the same year our house was built).

Now that my curiosity has been piqued, I'm going to try to find out more about the crime. One of my neighbors moved across the street just 4 months before the murder and she's promised to sit down and tell me what she knows. I'll post any updates here. And, in case you're wondering, I've never gotten any bad vibes from the house. I've always felt very safe here.