Saturday, April 21, 2012

High highs and low lows

This week felt like it lasted a month. I won a Silver Effie and wore fantastic sky high satin heels and a sequin mini skirt to the awards dinner. Which, thanks to mediocre food and the fact that I was neither allowed to accept the award on stage (it's a political thing) nor included in the group photo with the statuette on the step and repeat was about as un-fun as events can get.

I went to a poorly attended but interesting NARAL/Pro-Choice America event and killed myself at work, revising a video case study in one day and churning out idea deck after idea deck. Creatively I was on fire, but that didn't stop me from red-eyed bawling at my desk one afternoon over a misunderstanding.

photo by Paul Goyette
Thanks to the Effie Awards and a preschool event, I missed both Tuesday and Thursday's Derby Lite practices and since work was so crazy, I didn't get to work out at all. Which made me feel infinitely less deserving of the fantastic (and likely final) One Sister dinner we attended with 10 friends until very late last night.

And as it that wasn't enough of an emotional roller coaster ride, I spent my few precious moments of free time this week planning a surprise trip to Walt Disney World for the family this fall. So naturally the girls act like ungrateful brats this morning (Zoe was adamant we adopt one of the animal shelter dogs being promoted at Oak Park's Earth Fest and would not take no for an answer and Ada repeated smacked her sister because she was frustrated over losing the free wildflower seeds she's snagged at the fest.)