Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Thank you, President Obama

UntitledToday our President came out in support of gay marriage, and that made me proud to be an American.

I felt extra patriotic when, while assisting my 4 year old in the making of pizzas for dinner, I heard an NPR broadcast discussing the news. They mentioned the fact that--for the first time in history--more Americans support gay marriage than are against it.

I feel like we've come a long way in what seems like a fairly short time. I didn't know any (out) gay people in high school or among my parents' friends. My kids, by contrast, know my cousin is married to another man. They know that some kids have one parent, some have two, and sometimes those two are of the same gender. It's so not a big deal for them it barely registers as worth commenting. It's boring.  What's far more interesting, at least to my second grader, is that sometimes a kid's parents list two different addresses in the school directory. Divorce is more interesting (even scandalous) to a kid than a committed, loving gay marriage.

You can tell that to the defense of marriage nutjobs.