Thursday, August 19, 2010

My bat mitzvah is 1 day away!

IMG_0384
This is my Torah portion. If you were to come to Oak Park Temple on Friday, August 20th at 8pm (and you locals really should--there will be lots of delicious desserts at the oneg afterwards), you would get to hear me chant it and deliver my d'var Torah, a little speech/Torah commentary that I will also post here sometime next week. Oh, and along with the rabbi, the cantor, a 13-year-old bar mitzvah boy and my fellow adult bat mitzvah candidate, Nancy, I will be leading a few prayers.

I'm thrilled to finally reach this important milestone, and I have a few people I need to thank for supporting me on my journey. Thank you Josh, for encouraging me to go for it and letting me disappear for an hour a week to study. Thank you Nancy, for doing it with me. Thank you Berit (a.k.a. Tavi's mom), for teaching and encouraging me. Thank you Kim, for being an inspiration and pursuing an adult bat mitzvah earlier this year. The thank you Sara, for cheering me on and auctioning off your Embassy Suites American Girl Slumber Party package in my honor and for the charity of my choice.

Thank you Mom, for throwing me a celebratory brunch at Maya del Sol. And thank you to Tiny Prints, who generously comped my invitations. Not only was choosing a tasteful design and modifying it for my purposes super easy, they got in touch with me after I'd submitted my order and advised me to add contact information after the RSVP request.