Saturday, December 27, 2008

My strong-willed child

There is no sense trying to win a battle of wills with Z. You will lose. When she went on a bottle strike at 3 months of age, everyone said "She'll eat when she's hungry." No, she went 12 hours without milk before I returned home and gave her the boob. She's gone to bed without dinner more times than I can count because she'd rather eat nothing than chicken with a smidge of sauce. The kid is nothing if not determined.

But once in a while her fierce determination and will to succeed pays off. Like yesterday. I took her to the local ice skating rink and brought her out on the ice. I never took lessons, but I'm a decent skater. That doesn't mean I know how to give lessons. So I just laced up her skates, warned her she was going to fall a lot and grabbed her one of those walker things they keep in the beginners area.

Z just worked at it. Fall after fall, she'd get up smiling and shoo me away. By the end of our hour on the ice, Z could manage to rather ungracefully skate a few yards without support. She cried as we left the rink, but Josh and Z were waiting for us. Still, unless she's a beast tomorrow morning, we're going back in the afternoon.

I don't have more more than a passing interest in astrology, but I wondered while I was writing this if her persistence was related to her sign. Here's what I found:

"A Scorpio never gives up, they are so determined to reach their goal. The key to this success is their flexibility. They are able to re-survey a situation and take a different approach if necessary. This makes them very adaptable and versatile."