Saturday, June 02, 2007

Potty training boot camp, day 2

Let's just say that by 10am this morning I was very tempted to throw in the towel on the whole potty training shebang. But Josh and I had promised each other we'd stick it out this time. We'd said goodbye to diapers and we meant it this time!

Despite being plied with juice and chocolate milk, Z refused to pee (even though it was obvious she needed to) from her 6am wake up until 9:30 in the morning. Tired of listening to her whimper, wail and refuse to sit on the potty without crossing her legs, we loaded the potty into the trunk and headed out to the farmer's market (we couldn't ignore the siren call of charity doughnuts any longer). Z refused to use the potty in the trunk, but as we were halfway home, she said, "Can I change into my Tinkerbell panties when I get home? Because my white underpants are wet." She'd had an accident in her car seat, but at least she wasn't holding it in any longer.

Josh left Z and I in the backyard for some pants-free running around (with her potty nearby) while he ran errands at Trader Joe's. He hadn't been gone 30 minutes before she said, "Diaper, diaper..." and grabbed her crotch. I told her to go ahead and sit on the potty, and she filled it right up! While I was on the phone with a friend, no less.

Then, about 45 minutes after our first success, Z started murmuring "diaper, diaper" again and looking uncomfortable. I guided her to the potty and this time she pooped and peed! Big, big success. She wasn't even interested in reward M&M's or stickers. She just said, "My body feels better now," and asked me if we could save the contents of her potty to show Daddy.

I don't think Josh has ever been so pleased to be faced with a bowl full of excrement.