Thursday, June 07, 2007

Who has time for hobbies?

Not me, that's for sure.

ReadyMade editor Tina Barseghian's Get a Hobby: 101 All-Consuming Diversions for Any Lifestyle has succeeded in making me feel woefully inadequate.

Potty training? Not a hobby. Reading library books on the El? Not a hobby. Making my own ice cream and topping it with melted peanut butter and Hershey's syrup? Somehow it didn't make the cut. But--wait a moment--blogging is included as a hobby! I have a hobby!

I used to have plenty of hobbies--artsy-craftsy stuff like drawing, knitting and pottery. I've even tried mosaics, silk-screening and sculpture. But reading about them makes me feel all the more guilty for abandoning them in favor of Deadwood marathons and that most precious of all pursuits, sleep.

But while full-time employment and early mommyhood has put a damper on my free time, I know it's only temporary. I plan to get back into knitting during my maternity leave (although I'm not promising to finish niece Eliza's b-o-r-i-n-g baby blanket), and I think I can find time to try out some of the smaller, low-investment ideas like olive oil infusing and beading.

Better yet, I can look forward to revisiting this book with my girls as they grow older. I'd love to involve them in composting, candy making, decoupage and rubber stamping.

But I'm definitely going to give falconry, fantasy sports leagues and model shipbuilding a pass.

See what other bloggers had to say about Get a Hobby and see how you can win a copy of the book plus a $100 Michael's gift card at Parent Bloggers Network.

But before you leave, I'd love to hear about your hobbies, past and present.