Saturday, July 24, 2010

Flood, friends and film

My plan for this morning was to take Z and one of her friends up to Evanston for a free Chicagonista screening of Ramona and Beezus. But after last night's torrential rains, the highways and Blue Line trains were shut down and reports of flooding on roads under the viaducts was widespread.

When I picked up Z's buddy, I saw their pond-like backyard and learned their basement was flooded as well. Since I didn't want the girls to be too disappointed, I hung out with them making friendship bracelets for an hour or so and then took them to see Toy Story 3 in 3-D at the local cinema.

After the movie I dropped off her friend and picked up A and headed southwest to Brookfield, where we were going to visit the new home of an old friend. Remember how just last weekend I reconnected with 4 former Newcity colleagues? Well today I got to hang out with one of my favorite Newcity people, Alana. It was such a treat to catch up with her and meet her jolly 11 month old, Will, but getting there and back? Well, it looked like this.


Driving through a foot of water in your Honda CR-V is kind of fun, but finding out that a dozen of your friends are dealing with flooded basements and one is in dire need of a new apartment now? It sucks.