Thursday, January 13, 2011

The exercise paradox and where I have been, lately

Why is it that when I'm feeling lazy or down, I can't bring myself to hit the gym, but less than 24 hours after spending 2 hours at roller derby practice, I'm willing to give up my lunch to sweat myself silly in a 50 minute Kettlebell aerobic/strength class?

Like the rest of the privileged world, I ramped up my health and fitness routine in the last couple of weeks; and although I've been sore pretty much all the time, it hasn't dulled my enthusiasm. I'm not a runner, but I'm finally getting that runner's high--a sense of exhilaration comes as each workout ends and ups my overall happiness quotient.

It doesn't hurt that a big piece of my workout plan continues to be Derby Lite. I'm in the Intermediate class now, and I've given myself permission to indulge in the sassy, fashion-obsessed side of derby. I ordered a personalized Derby Lite track jacket and used Etsy's Alchemy service to commission my own personal Alma-geddon t-shirt design. (I dreamt up the concept but needed a graphic designer to bring it to life.)
My tank top is waiting for me at the T-Shirt Deli and I can't wait to pick it up!

I know it's been a while since I posted last. In the intervening days I talked to a roomful of U of C students about careers in advertising, hosted a preschool marketing meeting/playgroup, flew to NYC for a brainstorm and dinner at OTTO and worked my ass off at the office on 3 separate high profile initiatives. It's been busy.