Monday, March 12, 2012

Irish-ish

Josh and I have lived in Chicago since the mid-1990s, but he'd never attended a St. Patrick's Day Parade and I last time I saw one I was still attending the University of Chicago. (And it was only because I accidentally stumbled upon the downtown parade while trying to buy bras at Marshall Fields.)

Photo courtesy of Derby Lite's own Molly Hacker 
Anyway, it was bound to happen. Josh shook off his dislike for McDonald's and became a fan of the Shamrock Shake, our kids' friends are into Irish dancing and before you know it we're bringing soda bread and honey butter to a St. Patrick's Day party and I'm sending Josh to Target to buy me green argyle socks and short-shorts and I'm skating in the Forest Park St Patrick's Day parade.

Of course, next weekend marks the real St Patrick's Day, but something tells me we won't be marking the occasion at our synagogue retreat.*

*Yes, you read that right. I'm taking the girls to our temple's annual retreat in Wisconsin. Josh declined to attend on account of there may be folk singing.