Thursday, March 01, 2012

Happy house

Our new furniture arrived yesterday and Amanda Miller came over to help me "stage" everything just so. She had me pull out all my knick-knacks, bowls and art and arranged things in some unexpected ways. I may move a few things later, but for now I like her choices. Here's a peek.
Feb 29, 2012 8:27 PM
This is our new sofa, a mid-century style from Rowe. The couch is bark colored with teal piping and buttons. The accent pillow is from West Elm, the bench/coffee table is a reclaimed wood piece I bought off Etsy and the rug was existing (it is from Pottery Barn).
Feb 29, 2012 8:29 PM
The other side of the living room now has two chairs, one a custom chair (also kind of mid-century inspired) from Rowe and a red slipper chair from West Elm. The side table is also West Elm, purchased on clearance for $99, and the lamp was a $10 item I picked up at Target years ago. The throw was crocheted by my great-grandmother and the striped pillow was given to me a few years ago. We rearranged our art collection to showcase this Jon Langford painting of The Band and our stairway is still home to a dozen silkscreened concert posters. Brown and teal are the primary colors, but I'm using ivory and red as accents.
Feb 29, 2012 8:28 PM
Viewing the room more from the front door, you can see our rearranged shelving unit, which my Mom bought for us from Room and Board back in 2000. The wall behind the unit is now teal and there is a pouf I knitted underneath, which we can pull out when we need extra (kid) seating.
Feb 29, 2012 8:28 PM
The dining room now houses Josh's guitar collection. Other changes we made based on Amanda's recommendations include painting the shelf black to match the chairs and a corner shelf (not visible here), moving my Pakistani trunk over from the living room, and adding art above the hutch. What's interesting is that she paired a Chinese silk embroidered piece (inherited from my grandma) with a silk-screened concert poster and a wood carving. The contemporary IKEA table lamp makes the orange in the two framed pieces really pop. (I'll add a photo later to demonstrate.)

I'm so very happy with how our redecoration of our main living space turned out, as I think it is a real reflection of us and our personal style.