Saturday, October 09, 2010

Friday Shopping Report

Knee socks for skating
I discovered the hard way why so many roller derby girls wear knee socks. Roller skates can rub you the wrong way if your skin isn't protected. After scoring an ankle blister at last Saturday's Derby Lite practice, I stood in line at Nordstrom Rack for 15 minutes to buy blue and black striped knee socks and hot pink Betsy Johnson over-the-knee socks. I also stocked up on knitted tights for winter as I love a) how cozy they keep my legs and b) that they are control top free. I hate control top tights.


Organic fruit and veggies
Having taken delivery of our Mamaloot Ripe Organics box on Tuesday and finding it to be a pretty good deal, I snapped up a $15 Groupon for $30 to use with Irv and Shelly's Fresh Picks. We spent our Marion Street Cheese Market Groupon and snapped one for another Oak Park restaurant, Klay Oven.

Knitting book
Since I finished my cabled hat and abandoned a crap pattern for a baby hat for my friend Kate's about-to-be-born daughter, I was hungry for some more knitting projects. I'd admired Stephanie's fingerless gloves and she told me the pattern was from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. Based on the reviews I'd read, I ordered its sequel, More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts from Half.com. But if it doesn't arrive ASAP, I may try knitting these. And Kate, if you're reading this, I still have plans to knit something for your baby girl--it just won't be ready in time for her to wear it home from the hospital.