Thursday, September 08, 2011

Here's something cool: glass straws

Glasses of milk are being finished and breakfast smoothies enjoyed* thanks to something I didn't even realize existed 2 months ago: glass straws.

Made by Glass Dharma, our new collection of 4 glass straws range from small to extra wide (perfect for said smoothies). One is slightly bendy and two are decorated with colored dots. All are easy to clean and in constant rotation.

Historically, I've kept a bag of IKEA plastic straws in the corner cabinet, but due to their inherent wastefulness, we've felt guilty about using them and only doled them out on special please finish your milk I'll even add chocolate syrup occasions. With the glass straws, I can always say yes to a straw. And while the straws are labeled as dishwasher safe and guaranteed for life,** I've found a quick rinse in very hot water is good enough most of the time.

Although I expected my kids to love the straws, I was surprised to find how much Josh and I enjoyed using them. The glass has a smooth, substantial feeling that is so different from the sharp edges and flexible sides of a traditional straw. The glass mouthfeel together with the wider width makes drinking even plain water a real pleasure. Weird, but true.

*Today's smoothie: 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1 1/2 tbsp Trader Joe's Organic Crunchy Peanut Butter, 1 banana and 1 tbsp Trader Joe's Organic Midnight Moo chocolate syrup

**At first I ran all of the straws through the dishwasher using the utensils basket, but the smallest of the straws broke in half. True to their word, Glass Dharma exchanged it. But they acknowledged the smaller-sized straws require more careful handling in the dishwasher.

Disclosure: I provided with free samples of Glass Dharma straws to review. All opinions are my own.