Tuesday, September 12, 2006

From the mouth of a babe, part 3

"I don't want soup! I don't want it!" Z repeated, over and over as we spooned out tonight's dinner, African peanut soup and fried plantains. She continued with her "I don't want it!" tirade between spoonfuls and forkfuls of soup, at one point saying, "I don't want it. I want...more, Mommy." She put away two (baby-sized) bowls of soup. And one bite of plantain.

I felt like going out of ice cream, so I said to Josh as I was packing up the leftovers, "Maybe we could go to the Brown Cow for i-c-e-c-r-e-a-m."

Z jumped in with, "I wanna go to the Brown Cow. I wanna go to the Brown Cow an' get ice cream." (That girl has a memory! We haven't been there in over a month!) This was repeated, ad nauseum, and with escalating whininess until I snapped, "Z! We're going to get ice cream. So stop whining and use your big girl voice. "

As we approached our favorite ice cream parlor (and the setting of my baby shower), Z said, "Z riding in the car. Z stopped whining."

"That's right. You're using a nice voice. You're a big girl," I replied.

"I'm a big baby," Z responded.

Josh had a dish of their new flavor, Mountain Berry, which was amazing. And Z and I shared a bowl of Vanilla Cupcake. But she quickly lost interest and headed off to their play area, which includes a toy cash register. A toy cash register (our daycare provider has two) may very well qualify as the most wanted toy for Z's second birthday (Grandmas and Grandpa, are you reading this?)