Wednesday, February 27, 2008

That's entertainment

I know I've been a bit lax about blogging lately, but but between a new job, two kids and icky winter weather that's had us trapped indoors, there's not too much to report.

But I do have a pile of recommendations to share! I just finished reading Love in the Driest Season and Choosing My Religion, both of which I'd borrowed from a friend and really enjoyed. The first is a memoir about race and adoption set amid the chaos of modern-day Africa and the latter is Freakonomics author Stephen Dubner's memoir of growing up Catholic only to reconnect with his parents' Jewish roots. His parents converted independently, married, and became very religious--cutting themselves off from their families.

Now I'm reading The World Without Us, a nonfiction book that proposes how the world might look should humans vacate the earth.

I'm also loving the eight o'clock hour as that means both children are in bed and Josh and I can crank up the DVD player. There are so many good TV shows on DVD that I don't at all miss having cable. We finished Season Four of The Wire and we're in the midst of watching a bunch of other great shows: AMC's Mad Men (about an ad agency in the 1960s), Human Giant, Flight of the Concords, and Battlestar Galactica.