Sunday, July 27, 2008

Adopting internationally, Cabbage Patch style

Remember the Cabbage Patch craze? My parents weren't the type to camp out outside Toys R Us, but they did finally furnish me with the must-have doll of 1983. Her name was Johanna and she was from Finland. My dad purchased her while on a work-related trip to Scandinavia.

Johanna's "adoption papers" were in Finnish, but she was otherwise a dead ringer for the Cabbage Patch Kids all my friends had. You couldn't say the same for the handsewn "Cabbage Patch" my Great Aunt Helen gave me. I knew she wasn't quite "right," so I didn't trot her out for my friends to see. But I loved her ugly nylon face and chose her to share my bed.

I haven't chased after any "hot" toys for my kids, but I finally procured a Wii for the adult members of the family!

This reminiscence was brought to you by Parent Bloggers Network and Hasbro, whose Hot Summer Toys Event is donating up to $400,000 in toys and games to needy kids.