Monday, August 25, 2008

Cabbage Patch Kids: Some things never change. And that's a good thing.

I get so bummed when I see toys I grew up loving get makeovers for our kids' generation. I'm sure my daughter would have adored the adorable imp that was Strawberry Shortcake. Now she's looks more like a strawberry-scented Lolita than a child's plaything.

Thank G-d the folks behind Cabbage Patch Kids know better than to mess with a good thing. They were kind enough to send Z a 25th Anniversary Cabbage Patch doll, and I'm happy to report the only difference between her Mary Jo my old Johanna doll is a more modern (read: less plasticky) diaper.

Z took to Mary Jo immediately, marveling over her long yarn pigtails, dimpled knees and perfect belly button. She also appreciated the ease with with her Cabbage Patch Kid's clothes and shoes came on and off.

With the 25th anniversary edition of Gen Xer's favorite doll reignite the frenzy of 1983? In this age of cell phones and social networks for fourth graders, that seems unlikely. But I'm glad one good thing hasn't changed.