Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Where's the good news?

I know our retirement investments are tanking, but I've been saved from knowing exactly how much we've lost because we're in the process of moving our accounts from Merrill Lynch to a new company.

I was dumbfounded for a second (before my blood hit the boiling point) when I read that AIG executives treated themselves to a $440,000 spa retreat after the government floated them $85 billion in taxpayer dollars. That's $200,000 on rooms, more than $150,000 on meals, $23,000 in spa charges and $7,000 on golf. It might seem like tiddlywinks when we're talking about a multi-billion dollar bailout, but that total could buy a lot of gas and groceries for hurting Americans.


The election is less than a month away, and in spite of the economic crisis, a pointless and very expensive war and the rising costs of food, gas, utilities and health insurance, right-wing nutjobs and closet racists are still trying to smear Barack Obama. Who, by the way, struck me as downright Presidential in last night's debate.

And closer to home, Oak Park is in the midst of a crime wave, with armed robberies way up.