Monday, May 04, 2009

I swear it wasn't a shotgun wedding

"Mommy, did people laugh at you at your wedding?"
"No, of course not. Why would they?"
"Because you were pregnant with me."
"I wasn't pregnant with you at my wedding, Z. You came 5 years later!"
"Yes you were. I think I came the next day. The day after your wedding."
"No, you came a long time after. Trust me, I remember."
"Well, were you pregnant at any wedding?"
"Um, I don't really remember. But no, I don't think so."
"Oh."

WTF, huh? It boggles my mind to believe my innocent little four year old was sitting in the backseat on the way to the zoo with visions of her mama's shotgun wedding dancing in her head. And the fact that she knows, on some level, that a bride in the family way might be blushing as her guests tut-tut about her? Sheesh. Either Caillou's got a subtext that I'm missing or the kids at preschool are giving her quite the extracurricular education.