Sunday, March 14, 2010

Hot Locks Dolls: Hip-hop Rapunzels for all!

It's been a while since I've pimped out my blog (read accepted free stuff and wrote about it), but how can I turn down a huge box full of free dolls for my girls and a bunch of their friends? And not just any old dolls, either. But the kind of heavily advertised, inspired-by-Bratz-but-far-less-obnoxious, now-available-at-Toys R Us dolls my kids would be clamoring for if they ever watched broadcast television.

Hot Locks are small, trendily-dressed plastic dolls who come with barrettes, a comb and 14 freakin' inches of hair. The good news is that all that shiny, brilliantly colored hair is like catnip to kindergarten-age girls. I spent half the party helping them braid, curl and apply tiny plastic clips to their dolls' insane tresses. The bad news is that I spent the other half of the party detangling all that long synthetic hair. In any case, so far the girls can't get enough of their Hot Locks dolls; they'v been playing (and in A's case sleeping) with fishnet-clad "Harlow" and purple-haired "Morgan" nonstop for a day and a half. It's too soon to say whether or not the fun will outlast the novelty, but I can say without a doubt A's doll's hair will be irrevocably snarled by week's end.

IMG_8906
Ruhi meets Ami.
IMG_8907
Riley and Sophie: I think I see a resemblance.
IMG_8915
Who says you can't mix toy brands? The Hot Locks Dolls made themselves at home in Mrs. Goodbee's doll house.

Although we sent each child home with a doll and Z claimed two, we ended up with 4 extra dolls (3 of whom are African American). We'll be taking them to Hephzibah.