Friday, March 26, 2010

The great slipcover experiment

Or, Hiding My Flaws (after exposing them for all the Internet to see), part two.

Here goes: Every single one of our cats (Silver and Tallulah, may you RIP) has felt compelled to scratch the outter arm of our loveseat, and it's looking mighty pitiful.
IMG_8941
No wait, it looks even worse with the flash off.
IMG_8942
The couch itself is solid, and while I might want to get the cushions reshaped (am I wrong to think there's a service out there somewhere that sells new foam inserts?), I'm not ready to spring for reupholstering them at this point. And honestly, I paid about $850 for both the couch and the loveseat together, which means they're probably not worth reupholstering.
IMG_8940
So I tried something different. A machine-washable slipcover by Surefit. It's a single piece of stretchy fabric with an elasticized bottom that gives it a reasonably snug fit.
IMG_8943
The girls were thrilled with our "new red couch" and they oohed and ahhed over how soft the fabric is.
IMG_8944
What do you think? Should I get one for the big couch as well, or is it okay to rock the mismatched couches look?

Disclosure: I received the Surefit Stretch Royal Diamond One Piece slipcover for free.