Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Mom-invented products and me: as seen on WGN-TV

Welcome WGN/Channel 9 viewers! Here, as promised, is more information on the mom-invented products I shared on the morning news program. I hope you click around to some of my older, more personal posts and decide to stick around as a reader.


The NeckSaver ($12) is one of those inventions I wish I'd known about--oh, about 5 1/2 years ago. My children were forever falling asleep in their carseats and strollers and slumping over in a most pitiful-looking way. Looking just like a miniature travel neck pillow, the NeckSaver is ergonomically designed to reduce strain on the neck and stabilize a baby's head, keeping it from slumping or flopping while baby sleeps.



My kids are potty trained now, but I would have loved having My Royal Heinie Daypack ($34.99) in my backpack. This genius invention with the idiotic name is a compact diaper bag with a built-in wipes dispenser for quick and easy access. The similarly-sized bag I carted around had a wipes box tucked inside a special hidden pocket, making it remarkably inconvenient to grab a wipe when duty called.

If you've ever seen a toddler tilt his sippy cup way back, you'll understand why the Tilty cup ($5.99 for 2) makes a lot of sense. Its internal angled wall forces liquid to the spout, allowing your child to drink with minimal effort and head tilt. By encouraging "correct" drinking behavior, the Tilty cup promises to help babies transition to a regular cup more quickly. Which is a good thing if, like me, you hate seeing 4 and 5 year olds drinking from sippies. Each 7 oz cup is BPA, dye and phthalate-free. Ages 9 months and up.


My Plate-Mate ($7.95) is a handy spill guard that attaches to the rim of any standard plate. The curved wall design helps children scoop food onto their utensil, promoting self-feeding while minimizing spills and cleanup. It is made in the USA and contains no lead, phthlates, BPA, polycarbonates or PVC.

I know my babies came home from the hospital with a whole lot of paperwork. And every trip to the doctor meant more handouts to file away. BabyBriefcase ($25.95) helps new parents keep track of birth certificates, immunization records, social security forms and warranties and instruction manuals for all that baby gear .



When your kids are old enough to want to sock away their own keepsakes, they can keep them safe inside a Treasure Chest Pet ($19.99). Secret compartments hidden on and inside these cuddly stuffed animals offer the perfect hiding places for your child's favorite things. Z can't wait to fill her pig with pennies, marbles and hair accessories.


For those of you who missed it, here's the segment.