Sunday, May 08, 2011

Happy Mother's Day to Me

Paul Goyette took this picture right before A's recital
My loot:
Josh bought me fancy beer and liquor and loaded up the iPod Shuffle I'd won with workout music. I ran 2 miles listening to Lady Gaga and 3 repeats of Faith No More's "Be Aggressive" (maybe I won't use the shuffle in shuffle mode next time).
Z brought home a "breakfast in bed" bag she'd assembled at school that included an orange, a packet of instant coffee, a homemade blueberry muffin and "If You Give a Mom a Muffin," a clever spoof of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," her teacher wrote and Z illustrated.
A gave me a flower seedling, a hand-painted card and an extra half-hour of sleep.

My day:
I let Z skip Sunday school and we all had brunch on the patio at Maya del Sol. We played at the park for a hour or so before Josh and I left the girls with a sitter and impulsively headed downtown to see Werner Herzog's 3D Cave of Forgotten Dreams. Probably a bad idea to waste a beautiful afternoon sitting in the dark watching a film about cave paintings, but it was pretty fascinating nonetheless.

For dinner had our neighbors over and fired up the grill for the season's first brats, dogs, coleslaw and s'mores. Eaten outside.

I couldn't have asked for a better Mother's Day. And that's taking into account the fact that A threw a world-class, every-neighbor-could-hear-it fit over not getting "the pink cup" at dinner.