Sunday, May 15, 2011

When life gives you lemons, you walk

Image courtesy of Derby Lite
In my head I imagined lacing up my skates with 100+ Derby Lite gals and gliding along the lakefront for today's ACS Walk & Roll. My only worries were sunburn and what I'd wear--leggings, Derby Skinz or both?

But it seems someone pissed off Mother Nature in a big way. From last weekend's picture-perfect weather to the record 90 degree high on Wednesday, the mercury went plunging to a bitter 42 degrees. Add wind and rain, and you have a pretty good picture of what things looked like this morning in Grant Park.

Still, 37 Derby Lite troupers walked 5 miles in the cold and wet, blowing on our fingers, wiggling our numb toes and sharing memories of the grandparents and parents we'd lost to cancer. As a group, we've very close to raising a total of $100,000 over the course of the last 4 years. Just an extra $25 per participant will put us over the edge. If you haven't already sponsored me, would you consider doing so now?