Sunday, January 25, 2009

Trust me, Trust Me's good

I don't have cable, but if I did, I can tell you what I'd be watching Monday night on TNT: Trust Me, a new drama/comedy set at a large Chicago ad agency based on the very place I work. I was lucky enough to preview the first two episodes and attend a lunchtime meet and greet with Monica Potter on Friday; she plays an award-winning yet highly insecure divorcee/copywriter on an otherwise all-male creative team.

The real Monica Potter is nothing like her character; she's a down-to-earth mother of three eager to dish off-the-record about the foibles of raising two teenage boys and a 3-year-old girl with a roomful of female bloggers.

As a female copywriter at a large advertising agency, folks want to know if I think Trust Me has any basis in reality. To which I'd reply yes, as much as any TV show is an accurate representation of life on the job. It's a glamorized, simplified version of what I do that highlights only the interesting bits. Just as the nail-biting moments on The Shield (my current addiction) and The Wire are probably based in truth, the reality of being a police officer probably includes a lot more interviewing of pickpocket victims and filling out of paperwork. But really, who wants to watch episode in which everyone attends a process meeting or brainstorms 25 ways to say "Now more absorbent than ever?"