Friday, July 10, 2009

The birds and the bees...over breakfast?

I've heard that when it comes to sex questions, you should be open and honest while not giving your kids more information than they can handle. I get that, but Z caught me a little off-guard this morning when, over a bowl of Cracklin' Oat Bran (which is, incidentally, the BEST cereal on earth and seemingly ONLY available at Super Target), she asked this:

"How does a baby get inside a mommy's tummy?"

"Um, how do you think, Z?"

"I don't know. TELL ME."

"Well, ah, the Daddy puts a seed in there."

"HOW? Does she swallow it?"

Shit. What's the age-appropriate answer for this one? I really, really don't want to go into the tab A fits into slot B discussion. At least not until I've finished my coffee, checked a few books out of the library, and perhaps waited 2 or 3 more years.

"Well, no. She doesn't exactly swallow the seed. You see, when mommies and daddies love each other very much, they sleep in the same bed. And the daddy gives the mommy the seed in the bed."

"HOW?"

"Well, they do a lot of hugging and kissing."

That seemed to satisfy her. For now.