Thursday, April 15, 2010

The itchy and scratchy show

After going to the Walgreen's Take Care clinic on Sunday morning (because OMG I can't go to the Chicago Moms Blog mixer with pinkeye) and walking out with prescriptions for Nasonex and antibiotic eye drops, I still felt shitty with a capital S on Monday. I added too much water to Z's instant oatmeal. I forgot to put product in my hair. I couldn't find my Blackberry case. There was no way I could go to work until I'd seen a physician.

So Monday morning I saw our family practice doc and she told me to keep up the eye drops and add oral antibiotics to the mix. She blamed my fogginess on the antihistamines, calling it a "Benadryl hangover." The wicked congestion, sore throat, cough and headaches I'd been suffering from were due to a sinus infection. Oh, and I had broken out in a head to toe rash of red dots all over my body. But she didn't seem overly concerned with them.

Wednesday morning I felt well for the first time in weeks. It was a glorious feeling, breathing through my nose, putting in my contact lenses. Except the rash wasn't getting any better. It was a glorious summer-like day and I couldn't bare my legs. Hell, I couldn't even shave them! Oh, and without my Benadryl fog, the itchiness has gotten to be almost too much to bear.

So tomorrow I'm going back for a follow-up visit. I'll keep you posted...

4/16 Just got back from my doctor appointment. Her reaction: "This looks like chicken pox, did you have a confirmed case as a child?" I told her I was pretty sure I had it in the 5th grade, but when I called my mom to check afterwards, she said she thought I had it as a baby or toddler. Anyway, the doc thinks that whatever it is, it's viral and it will have to get better on its own. In the meantime, I am to rest, rest, rest. And not stress. Which means I'm staying home and taking lukewarm oatmeal baths and trying not to to look at myself because, OMG, I'm covered in hideous spots!!!