Saturday, June 12, 2010

Strawberries and stuff

Josh and the kids picked strawberries Friday morning and I've been doing by best to put all 7 lbs to good use before they get overripe. So today I made a batch of bran-strawberry mini muffins, 3 jars of strawberry freezer jam (I followed the recipe on the pectin box), strawberry shortcake and strawberry sorbet. And I still have a lot of strawberries to go through. I'm thinking there might be smoothies for breakfast tomorrow.

And the strawberry recipe bonanza wasn't the only way I was productive today. I hired a babysitter to occupy the kids for a couple of hours this afternoon while Josh and I decluttered and organized the crawl space. It was a good day to be an Oak Park Freecycler.

Speaking of which, I just finished reading Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things and I'm now convinced the Freecycle list is probably dangerously tempting to hoarders. As addictive to them, perhaps, as it is to those of us who love to purge.