Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Dreading the dentist

Since she acted like she liked the experience last time, I haven't hidden from Z the fact that today she's going back to the dentist for her 6 month check-up. Every day for a week now she's asked me, "Is today Tuesday? Do I go to the dentist today?" No sign of fear. A few mentions of stickers and tattoos...

Until last night. After her bath, Z asked, "What day tomorrow is?" She was trying to figure out which Disney Princess day-of-the-week underpants to put on. When I said Tuesday, she said "Tuesday is Snow White." But no sooner had she put them on she realized that Tuesday=dentist and the water works began. "I wanna skip the dentist," she whimpered, as if a dental exam was negotiable as an evening bath. When she realized I wasn't budging, she took matters into her own hands:

She took off her Tuesday underpants and put on a different pair. Yeah, because apparently when you're a preschooler the whole world doesn't just revolve around you, the days of the week are determined by your underwear.

Update 1/30/08: Z was a total champ at the dentist. Excited, even. She got a bag full of stickers, toys and a light-up toothbrush. And now she lets me floss her teeth!