Monday, January 14, 2008

Late-night parenting

"Uhhhhghh..."

I looked at the alarm clock: 10:50pm. Maybe Z's eyes crusted shut again? I pulled on my pajama pants and headed into her room.

But her bed was empty. She wasn't on the floor next to her bed either! I panicked for a nanosecond before my eyes registered her form against the chair in the corner. She was kneeling on the floor with her head resting on Tallulah, who was curled up in the chair, sleeping as she always does in Z's room.

I picked Z up and asked her if she needed to go potty (she's back in Pull-Ups after wetting the bed for a week straight, but that's fodder for a future post). She murmured no and lay limp in my arms as I carried her back to her bed and pulled a blanket over her.

Was she sleepwalking? Did she wake up and decide she wanted to read a book or visit the cat and then fall asleep mid-trip? I'm not sure I'll ever know, but she was still sleeping soundly when I got up to feed Baby A at 3am and get up for the day at 6. In fact, I had to wake her groggy, cranky self up at 7 so she could be dressed and fed before preschool.