Thursday, February 19, 2009

Theology from a 4-year-old

Z brought up G-d again this morning, which meant that as I was driving her to preschool, I was trying to explain that G-d is everywhere, but most importantly in our hearts. If we listen to the little voice inside us, I said, we're listening to G-d and we will know how to make the right choice and do good to others. For example, I said, if you listen to your heart, do you think it's better to push your sister or hug your sister?

"Hug my sister!" Z shouted. Great, I thought. But then she started her own little sermon on G-d, which I'm going to do my best to capture here.

"Everybody has a little G-d in their hearts. But G-d is also in the air. Is G-d a boy or a man?"

"G-d could be a man or a woman. G-d's not a person and since G-d's invisible, we don't know what he looks like."

"Well, his name is G-d and that sounds like a boy's name." What, because it rhymes with Todd?

"Oh, I know something, Mommy! Can I tell you an example? Girls and women have girl gods inside them and boys and men have boy gods inside their tummies. And we have to listen to the G-d inside us and do the right thing. Does that sound like a good idea?"

Sure, honey. It does.