Sunday, September 20, 2009

Too much candy, too little fun

This weekend kind of sucked.

But ever the optimist, I like to accentuate the positive. So I'll start with what was good about the past 2 1/2 days. I hosted a brunch for the staff and board of my daughter's school. That was nice. I love a good bagel with lox and a shmear.

And... that's all I can think of. Josh and I had a stupid fight, both girls suffered bounce house-related injuries (from two different bounce houses, on two different days), and we had some major potty training setbacks.

I'd like to blame A's horrible, no-good behavior this weekend on Rosh Hashana services, which ran long enough to screw up her Saturday nap schedule. But I should probably shoulder some blame for taking her to our neighbor's block party, where she fell out of the bounce house and planted her face on the asphalt, pooped in her underwear (twice) and refused a hot dog (what toddler refuses a hot dog?). I finally brought her home for a make-good meal of carrots and cheese cubes before dragging her, kicking and screaming, through the bathwater on the way to bed.

She got plenty of sleep Saturday night and midday Sunday, but she wet two more pairs of panties before getting back on the potty train. And bedtime was still proceeded by a temper tantrum so out of control it was almost funny. Almost. Major props to Josh who finally calmed her down with a walk in the rain.

And at the risk of sounding like the world's meanest mommy, can I take a moment to bitch about candy? I would like people to stop loading my kids up with sugar. Between the birthday party goody bags and pinatas and the Halloween and Valentine's Day and Christmas treats, I've had it with all the junk. I mean really, do we need to give kids birthday cake and candy? Do stores need to start selling candy corn two months before Halloween and Cadbury Creme eggs in late February? I don't mind a sucker as a reward for a hair cut or an M&M for a poop on the potty--hell, I'll take my kids out for ice cream every couple of weeks (if they eat their dinner), but my ability to make treats special is seriously undermined by the constant proffering of candy.

There, I'm stepping off my soapbox now.
flickr photo by JasonTromm, used under Creative Commons license