Monday, September 14, 2009

Toy review: Leapfrog Tag Junior

Leapfrog Tag Junior from almaklein on Vimeo.


I raved about Z's Tag Reader before, so when Leapfrog offered me the opportunity to test-drive their new toddler version of the toy with A, I jumped at the chance.

Like most younger sibs, if Z has it, A wants it. And while A can turn on Z's Tag Reader, her attempts at using it involve stabbing the pen randomly at pages. I'm guessing someone at Leapfrog watched a toddler play with a Tag Reader in just the same fashion, because the Tag Junior works beautifully when whacked against one of the system's board book pages.

In fact, it's a fabulously engineered toy all around: the device is sturdy, intuitive and the ABC Animal Orchestra Book (sold separately) is actually pretty fun.

But, with all that, A never picks this toy. If Z or I bring it out, she's happy to mess around with it, but she'd rather situate herself on the couch with a big pile of board books, pretend to cook us treats or play with her dolls. Electronic games and reading on her own just aren't as appealing to my 25 month old as they are to her 4 1/2 year old big sister.