Saturday, August 19, 2006

Birthday dinner, 2 months later

My sister and her husband surprised me on my 30th birthday with an incredibly generous and thoughtful gift--gift certificates for dinner at MK, one of Chicago's top restaurants. Even more thoughtful when you consider they're not from Chicago--they're Sydneysiders who chose the restaurant while we were on a family vacation in Alberta, Canada!

Anyway, we finally got to put them to good use tonight. My meal included a proscuitto-melon-ricotta salad, Kobe beef on greens, pomme frites, a glass of MK's own Pinot Noir. I concluded with a cup of coffee and a dessert called mint-chip, which was a baked Alaska-like creation of chocolate souffle, mint-chip ice cream, hot fudge and meringue. A lovely, lovely meal. Josh had a caipirinha, "tomatoes in all their glory," the pork tenderloin, and the "two banana" dessert. Yum.