Monday, August 14, 2006

Bookshelf

I'm not well known for my patience, so I kept this blog a secret for 3 whole hours before sending a link to my BFF. Hi Franny!
Since she's usually the recipient of my reading lists, she suggested I post my book recommendations for all to see. So here's what I've read in the past month or so:


The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue
This is perhaps the best book I've read since The Time-Traveler's Wife, which was my favorite book of last year. It was so good I couldn't put it down. And when I was up late reading in bed, every little bump in the night would start my heart pounding. For fellow non-fans of fantasy, don't read the book jacket. Just read the book. Trust me.

I Didn't Do It For You: How the Whole World Betrayed a Small African Nation
Before reading this, I knew a lot more about the Rwandan genocide (We Wish to Inform You...) and the colonial struggles of Rhodesia (Alexanda Fuller's Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight and Scribbling the Cat) than the struggles of Eritrea.

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond
My friend Tim loaned me this book a couple of months ago, but I put off reading it until I was done with the previous two. Turned out my timing was perfect as this is a great accompaniment to Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth.
It shows that while human societies have encountered climate change before, they usually don't survive.