Monday, May 19, 2008

Cosi salad or Chipotle burrito: which is worse?

The battle of my two favorite chain restaurant fast food dishes. In one corner, the Cosi Signature Salad with Shallot Sherry Vinaigrette. In the other corner: Chipotle's Barbacoa Burrito Bol with cheese and sour cream. Which is worse for me? Using Cosi's Nutritional Information and Chipotle Fan's nutrition calculator, I tallied up the results.

Turns out I should pack my lunch more often.

Cosi Signature salad with dressing packs 683 calories, 51 grams of fat, 15 grams of protein and 749 mg of sodium inro one delicious take-out bowl (when in stock). The whole grain flatbread costs an additional 270 calories and 4g of fat for a grand total of 953 calories and 55 grams of fat.

The Barbacoa Burrito Bol with rice, black beans, tomatillo salsa, cheese and sour cream weighs "only" 710 calories, but it has 31 grams of fat, a generous 46 grams of protein and 13 grams of fiber, and a heart-attack worthy 1575mg of sodium, 66% of my daily allowance of salt.

So not only does the Signature Salad turn out to be a bigger diet no-no than Chipotle's Burrito Bol, but it is less filling. I always finish my salad and flatbread, but I've never finished a burrito bol.