Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Are you pro-bacteria?

Apparently marketers believe probiotic foods are the next oat bran, which became a food sensation after it was shown to lower cholesterol back in the 1980s. Dannon Activia is a runaway success, and other food makers are rushing probiotic foods to market.

I wasn't paying much attention to probiotics until my doctor recommended I take probiotic capsules before, during and after our trip to Mexico. Apparently all that good bacteria will build up my guts defenses, making me less susceptible to Montezuma's Revenge. For those of you who don't know, mothers-to-be need to avoid diarrhea because stomach remedies like Pepto-Bismol and Imodium are off-limits.

But while I'll be regular, blog posts will not be. Starting tomorrow, I'll be on vacation!