Friday, January 12, 2007

Calling Oz for free

When I read on Consumerist that AllFreeCalls.net was offering free international calls, I decided to give it a try. I dialed 712-858-8094 on my mobile phone (free domestic long distance), listened through the Mandarin, Spanish and English prompts and dialed my sister's home number in Australia.

A few seconds later I heard her phone ringing. And while the connection wasn't crystal clear and it eventually cut out altogether, I have a feeling that was more due to my cell phone and international long distance in general that the fact that I was connecting through Iowa.

And it's a good thing I got through. I got to hear the horror story that unfolded after my brother-in-law ate some sketchy-looking fish from a stall in Bali. Suffice it to say the tale involves passing out on a plane from food poisoning and being revived with oxygen before being spirited away by ambulance to a Melbourne hospital. And still making the connection home to Sydney.

Feel better Simon!