Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Our first potty training success


To my friends without kids, go ahead and skip this entry. Please.

Tonight, after I'd stripped her clothes off and started running her bath, Z ran up to me holding her crotch shouting "My 'gina, my 'gina!" I asked her what was wrong and she said "Pee's ready to come out." I jumped into action, placing the potty seat on the toilet and offering her a choice between that and her potty chair. She chose the chair, but nothing happened. "I want a diaper," she said, but she agreed to hop in the tub instead.

As soon as her feet hit the warm water, she insisted "I need a diaper," and her body language definitely indicated a major need to go. I popped her back on the potty chair and went into cheerleader mode saying "Pee-pee wants to come out! Pee-pee's ready to come out of your body! I'm so sure you can do it I'm going to run downstairs and grab an M&M for you."

I raced down, and as I was coming back up, taking the steps 2 and 3 at a time, I heard her say, "Mommy, I made water!"

She was thrilled to flush her pee away and call Daddy to share the good news. I'm sure she won't be truly potty trained for a few months at least, but now she knows she can go in the potty instead of a diaper.