Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Feeling a little sorry for myself

I've made peace with the fact that I'm not going to BlogHer, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little jealous of all the mommybloggers headed to Johnson & Johnson's Camp Baby (aka Camp Controversy). I was honored as hell to be included, but I turned down the invitation because I felt selfish missing work and taking three whole vacation days just for myself. And what with Josh's grandfather's funeral planned for Thursday in Virginia, it is just as well. I'll be on my own with the girls here in Chicago.

But when Josh gets back, I'm going to need a break. I haven't had a moms' night out with my girlfriends in two months. I haven't had a manicure or pedicure since December. I haven't even read the Sunday newspaper in weeks! What I need is a relaxing moment to myself. One hour--or two!--with no chattering children. No table wiping, floor sweeping, laundry folding, bath running, story reading, pretend playing, bill paying, check writing, lunch packing or diaper changing. With no voice mail leaving, emailing checking, status meeting attending, timeline charting, idea brainstorming, headline writing or elevator waiting,

Sometimes I feel like the curse of the career mom is that since work provides a welcome break from the drudgery of housework and small children, I rarely give myself a moment away from the daily grind. And I need one. My batteries are in desperate need of a recharge.