Saturday, April 26, 2008

I drink because you cry

Friday afternoon around 4pm: Josh calls me at work to warn me that the kids have barely napped, Baby A won't let him put her down, he doesn't feel like cooking and Z's ready to snap.

I get home at 5:45pm and Z snaps.

Tantrum #1: I don't place the tall kitchen chair close enough to the hot stove for her to finger the pan in which I'm browning ground beef for spaghetti sauce.
Tantrum #2: She doesn't want to be in time out.
Tantrum #3: She wants me to hold her while I'm balancing Baby A on one hip, mincing garlic and setting the table.
Tantrum #4: She doesn't want to eat any dinner. She'd rather go straight to bed.

So I put Z to bed while Josh changes a howling Baby A into her jammies. As soon as Z's tucked in, A's ready to nurse and conk out. Both of them are sound asleep by 7:30, which is pretty much unheard of around here.

And at 8 o'clock I head out for margaritas and a movie (Baby Mama) with my friend Julie. As a result I didn't get much sleep last night, but it was so worth it.