Sunday, June 15, 2008

Lyme Disease, power outages and a lost child... oh my!

Between 8 and 9am this morning, my sister received a diagnosis of Lyme Disease and filled a prescription for antibiotics and a massive thunderstorm knocked out our power, downing trees in our neighborhood. We still made it to synagogue by 9:05 for the wedding, albeit with frizzy bangs (on me) and no makeup (on Eleanor). Z agreed to wear her floral dress, but refused to put the baby's breath wreath in her hair and perform the duties of flower girl, which had really only been added to the ceremony for her benefit.
By the time the Sunday brunch reception began at the Signature Room on the 95th floor of the John Hancock Building, the skies had cleared for a truly spectacular view and a delicious spread of food.

Only since we had spent the morning without power, Josh missed the first 45 minutes of the party as he trolled around looking for a place with wireless Internet so he could file his review of last night's Billy Bragg show. Z spent most of the reception without any underpants on under her dress as she somehow soaked them while using the bathroom.
We had a lovely party with low drama for about an hour. Then, just as everyone was getting ready to leave, Z walks up to me and says, "Can I have a picture taken with Rick's daughters?" Or so I thought. Apparently she'd actually said, "Can I take pictures with Rick's daughter." And what she meant was "Can I leave the room and wander the Signature Room with Ella, Lindsay and Robbie as we look for more windows out of which Ella can take pictures."

I reached into the diaper bag to get my camera so that I could take a picture of her with Rick's daughters, but when I turned around she was gone.

"Why'd you let Z leave by herself," Josh asked me. "I didn't!" I exclaimed and we both raced out of the private party room to find her. Five or 10 minutes later everyone was searching the restaurant, hallways and bathrooms for the missing kids, and Josh and I were getting increasingly panicked. Finally, Josh found them looking out the windows on the lounge one floor up. Josh yelled at Z. Z got hysterical. And I think Ella felt pretty terrible.

The ride home was a bit of an ordeal as Z was dying of thirst (we stopped at Subway for a chocolate milk) and Baby A was so overtired not even her bottle or binkie would pacify her.

Yet in spite of everything, I enjoyed seeing my relatives (both old and new) and my house is relatively neat. But I have a feeling returning to work tomorrow will be more relaxing than any of the past 7 days.